Monday, June 23, 2008

Standard Of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping 95 (STCW 95)

I am a new mariner now... 2 weeks ago i have attend STCW Course at Pelita Maslaut at Sibu. This course is important for people who want to apply jobs in ship and offshore.
I have been there for 5 days starts on 9 - 13 June 2008. My fasilitator is En. Rahman Aris .. ex NAVY (my father's friend)
Now I'm waiting for my Basic Safety Training Certificates from Pelita. The certificates must be approved by Marine Department of Malaysia before Pelita Maslaut send back to me.

1. Basic Safety Training (BST) – The STCW 95 Code requires that you take this 5-day course of instruction. BST is actually 4 courses – Basic Firefighting, Personal
Survival, Personal Safety and Social Responsibility, and Elementary First Aid. This course has to be renewed every 5 years, or under certain conditions, you have to show that you have at least 1 year of service on board vessels of 200 grt or more within the last 5 years..

1. Basic Safety Training (BST) – Unless you have been on board a vessel that has a routine training and drill program (good only until Feb 1, 2002), you have to take this 5-day course of instruction. BST is actually 4 courses – Basic Firefighting, Personal Survival, Personal Safety and Social Responsibility, and Elementary First Aid. This course has to be renewed every 5 years.

I really enjoy this course expecially when use the firefighting suit with compressed air in Firehouse and personal survival in the water.

No comments: